Most people think that to be able to send a fax, they have to use a dedicated fax machine. But nowadays, with the use of your computers and laptop PCs, you can actually send a facsimile directly using your home computer. How to send a facsimile from a computer? Well, there are a couple of ways to do this. Read on.
How to Send a Fax from a Computer using MicrosoftFax
Did you know that you can send and receive facsimile for free using MicrosoftFax? The faxing software comes installed by default if you are running Windows XP. First, you need to configure Windows XP Fax to be able to send and receive fax afterwards.
Setting Up and Configuring Windows XP Fax
The Facsimile Service has to be set-up first since it doesn’t come pre-installed in Windows XP. To install:
- Open Control Panel, and click the Add or Remove Programs.
- Choose the Add/ remove Program Windows Components. Select the Fax Services button, then click Next and follow the instructions on your screen.
Warning: You need to be certain that a modem is connected to a phone line and the phone line is connected to a working jack to make this whole thing run.
- Soon after the Facsimile Services is installed, configure the service in the Fax Console. To configure the Fax Console:
Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Communication -> Fax -> Fax Console
To learn more about the comprehensive step by step procedure to use Fax, visit Microsoft’s official site on Faxing in Windows XP.
Sending a Facsimile from your PC
To send facsimile from your PC:
- Open the document. On the file menu, click Print.
- In the Print Set-up box, in the Printer name, select Fax to open the Send Fax Wizard.
- Follow the instructions for typing in the recipient’s fax number and any other information needed. Make sure that you’ve included the area codes and long distance information.
- Choose a cover page. You can choose from the list or maybe opt for no cover page at all.
- When ready, click Send. The fax will then begin to gather the information and will start sending when the dialing does.
Don’t have a modem or a phone line to send fax on your computer? Then you can try FaxZero. FaxZero is a free Internet tool which allows you to send facsimile for free. You can send a facsimile to any fax machine in other parts of the country including United States, Puerto Rico, or Canada. With FaxZero, you can send facsimile without the need of a fax machine. However, you need a valid email address to proceed. Aside from FaxZero, there are actually wide selections of free faxing online services that allow you to send faxes using their system. So, be sure to check them out.
We hope that this article has taught you how to send facsimile from your computer. Good luck!