When you have a problem with your operating system (particularly Microsot Windows XP) like for example it runs very slow or hangs a lot. Don’t just format it. It should be your last option. Try to repair it first by using Windows XP recovery console. By doing this, it will save you a lot of time reinstalling all of the programs that have been installed on that PC. If you think that there are some corrupted system files, just try to repair it first without formatting.
Step by Step Instructions to Repair Windows XP without Formatting your Computer
- First boot your computer and go to your BIOS settings by pressing “delete” or F2 button.
- Once in the BIOS setting, you need to change the boot order. Change the “first boot” to CD ROM. Open you CD ROM and put your Windows Xp Installation CD.
- Save it and Exit. Your computer will now restart.
- When it restart, you will see the message “Press any key to boot from CD”. You know what to do.
- Now a blue screen will appear displaying this message “Welcome to setup. This portion of setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer”. There are three options below, Choose “Setup Windows XP now” by pressing Enter. Do not choose to repair yet.
- Once you press the Enter. It will then display this message, “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it. Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select and installation”. There are two options below that message. Just choose “Repair the selected windows xp installation” by pressing R.
- Your Windows XP installer will now run its usual installation process but it a lot
- quicker compare to fresh installation of the operating system. Don’t worry about your files, the recovery console will just repair some system files and will not delete any of your important files.
After the setup is finished, your windows xp errors should be fixed now and you would also notice some performace improvements on your operating system.
Hope this helps.